Trauma Counselling – Why Your Company Needs it
Why is Trauma Counselling beneficial for my employees?
Psychological trauma is simply explained as the mind’s reaction to a distressing event. At some point in our lives, each one of us has experienced trauma. In saying this, trauma can affect anybody, whether it be an executive or an entry level employee which makes Trauma Counselling an option for everybody. Trauma comes in various forms, which can all be overwhelming and detrimental to a person’s psychological wellbeing.
What causes Trauma?
- Community violence (e.g., shooting, mugging, burglary, physical or sexual assault, bullying)
- Sexual, emotional and/or physical abuse
- Natural disaster such as a hurricane, flood, fire, or earthquake
- Being in or witnessing a serious car accident
- Sudden unexpected or violent death of someone close
- Serious injury, major surgery or life-threatening illness
- Domestic or family violence
- War or political violence
When is Trauma Counselling needed?
Trauma Counselling is essential when you experience any of the following:
- Inability to function in day-to-day life.
- Inability to form or maintain relationships.
- Using substances such as drugs and/or alcohol to cope with the trauma.
- Recurring severe flashbacks.
- Emotional numbness.
- Constant feelings of anxiety and worry.
All of the above mentioned events can lead to trauma if you were not emotionally or physically prepared, which in most cases people are not. Furthermore, if you felt powerless during the event, it can lead to trauma as your sense of control and safety are violated. Finally, if the event happened repeatedly, during early childhood or if the intent of the event was cruel it is more likely to lead to trauma.
Trauma Counselling offers employees a safe, caring and confidential environment in which they can explore, analyse, and understand their feelings, beliefs, and behaviours. Our Trauma Counselling can be provided onsite at the company’s premises or off-site in close proximity to the company’s premises. The aim of our Trauma Counselling is for employees to overcome trauma, be desensitized to triggers that remind them of the traumatic incident, become aware of how to deal with possible future trauma, have a better understanding of themselves and others, set personal goals and make the necessary changes to live a healthier and happier life.
Benefits of Trauma Counselling:
- Overcoming Trauma
- Desensitization to triggers
- Healthy coping mechanisms
- Knowledge on how to combat future trauma
- Happier employees
- More resilient employees
- More emotionally aware staff
- More Productive Staff
- Less Absent Days
It is of utmost importance for every company to take care of all of its employees regarding their mental state of mind. If you’ve experienced an extremely stressful or disturbing event that’s left you feeling helpless and emotionally out of control, you may have been traumatized. Psychological trauma can leave you struggling with upsetting emotions, memories, and anxiety that won’t go away. It can also leave you feeling numb, disconnected, and unable to trust other people. When bad things happen, it can take a while to get over the pain and feel safe again. But help such as Trauma Counselling can be extremely beneficial and will aid in the process of overcoming trauma. Whether the trauma happened years ago or yesterday, you can make healing changes and move on with your life.
To engage with our trauma and risk management programs, click here to contact us.