Mental Health Habits to Improve Your Wellbeing In 2022
As we get into the swing of a new year, one of the key things as we’ve learned is to look after our mental health habits. That looks different for many people. Whether you’ve gone through a devastating loss, adjusted to a cut-back on your salary or struggled with the ongoing effects of the pandemic, your mental health may have taken a hit.
Mental health can be difficult to prioritise, but there are ways to get around it. One of the big terms thrown around on social media frequently has been ‘self-care’. While it may not solve every problem it’s known to bring some happiness to your day.
The following mental health habits can assist in practicing good mental health daily. It’s up to you to find which one works best for your personality and needs:
- Meditation and relaxation techniques: Practicing deep breathing techniques or progressive muscle relaxation exercises are great ways to help reduce stress.
- Time to yourself: Set aside time every day to allow yourself to relax and escape the stress of life. Think of it as a mini vacation.
- Physical activity: Moving around and getting your heart rate up causes the body to release endorphins (the body’s feel-good hormones). Moderate exercise is proven to relieve stress.
- Social connections: Surrounding yourself with friends who are willing to listen and support you through good and bad times is essential.
- Humour: Adding humour to a stressful situation can help lighten the mood.
- Hobbies: Having creative outlets such as listening to music, drawing, or gardening are great ways to relax and help reduce stress.